Cracked heels occur for a number of reasons. The most common ones we see commonly at Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Institute are:
- Barefoot walking on dry, cold or hot surfaces
- Excessive manual debriding or treatment of the skin
- Excessiveley soaking feet in water
- Ill fitting shoes
- Systemic Diseases like diabetes or thyroid issues
There is no simple fix for cracked heels. The key is to retain moisture in the heels.
- Soak feet in lukewarm water for 5-10 minutes.
- Trim calluses with a pumice stone.
- Obtain a lotion with a lactic acid like Amlactin (it's found at Costco).
- Cover with cotton socks or purchase gel heel cups to retain moisture.
- Wear supportive sandals or shoes in the house.
WARNING: IF YOU HAVE DIABETES, NEUROPATHY OR ANY IMMUNOCOMPROMISED CONDITIONS, PLEASE COME TO ORTHOPEDIC FOOT AND ANKLE INSTITUTE TO BE TREATED.
Also, please avoid chemical callus peels. They can cause more damage to the feet.
If the above treatments do not work you need to be evaluated by one of our specialists at Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Institute. We will see if there are any other causes like bacterial or fungal infection causing the skin to callus and breakdown.
We treat patients with cracked heels from Henderson, Summerlin, Boulder City, Southern Highlands, North Las Vegas, Centennial Hills and Las Vegas.
Call us at 702-997-9833 Option 1 to schedule an appointment.